Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Day Seventeen. Surprise!

Today was a great day.

Second thing I do in the morning is feed the kids. Kids being one cat, a tankful of tropical fish, and a betta in his own bowl. Wonder upon wonders what did I discover in the tank this morning during breakfast?

BABIES.

Yes, three teeny tiny baby fish. Please allow me to emphasize the ***tiny***. I, of course, freaked out. How incredibly awesome. My sunburst platys are now proud parents. Post-joy-freak-out, I lost my mind in a different fashion. What do I do with them? Having about zero maternal instinct myself, but understanding quite a bit about how nature works, I immediately began to eye all the fish in the tank up as potential predators. At least I have a lot of plants floating around on the top of the tank (some I've put there intentionally, others have been uprooted by Hank, our coelacanth / algae eater), which the little babies were hiding in.

Hoping they would be safe until I could run out, I retreated to my day's duties. I could not, however, keep my mind off of them knowing everyone else in the tank looked hungry. 7 or 8 handfulls of fish flakes for the predatory bunch should keep them distracted...

And it did. One trip to Elmer's and $11.95 later, I am now the proud owner of a breeding tank and "fry food" for baby fish. A half hour's worth of chasing three little swimmies each the size of a 1/8" piece of refillable pencil lead (little guys are fast!) and we're all safe now. And I'm crazy excited about them.

What else? Today was a good work day also. Things are really moving and shaking. I was, and felt, productive. Days like that are always good.

Finally got a bunch of stuff out in the mail that I've been meaning to send for months. MONTHS. What is my problem?

A stellar dinner (thank you very much) of field greens with broiled salmon over top and raspberry walnut vinaigrette. Yum. I then baked up a batch of creme wafers (with purple frosting to boot) - I haven't made those in several years. Boy claims they're like shotgun shells full of sugar. Not sure how I feel about that.

_____________
Average Daily Mood: 9
Average Daily Sky: 8
Notable Food Consumption: see salad as noted above

No comments: