Sunday, July 22, 2007

Who Is Tom Mix?

There are times when I hear / see / am exposed to something odd more than once in a day. Today was one of those days.

A quick breakfast in front of the TV. On WQED, a show about interesting places in Pennsylvania. During my few seated minutes was a segment on Mix Run. Having grown up in the middle of nowhere, PA, and having traveled nearly all of this great state, I was intrigued because I don't recall ever hearing of Mix Run. During the segment, a name was mentioned: Tom Mix.

Having consumed it as a semi-interesting point in PA lore, I went about my day and stored it for later.

During a mop break (heavy-duty summer cleaning going on today), I turned on the TV for some quick learning. Completely different channel - this time the History Channel. On was a show about cereal and the Kellog brothers. During an interview, a gentleman spoke of "listening to the radio, and hearing Tom Mix tout the benefits of cereals". There it was again. Tom Mix.

Second time around for something strange like that, and at that point it becomes less Tom Mix and more Tom Marvolo Riddle.

So who is Tom Mix? I hit up Wikipedia for the answer - turns out he was an actor in the 20s and 30s. Go check it out, learn something new!

Tom Mix as provided by Wikipedia




No comments: